Butterfly Plant Mix
2018 Perennial Plant of the Year
We ship this item in Spring
- SKU: 64343
- Zones: 4-9
- Height: 18 - 36 inches
- Shade Requirement: Full Sun
- Bloom Time: Mid to late summer
Butterfly Plant Mix
- Botanical NameAsclepias tuberosa, Asclepias incarnata, Asclepias tuberosa 'Hello Yellow'
- Ships AsNO. 1 BAREROOT
- Height18 - 36 inches
- Spacing18 - 36 inches
- Spread18 - 36 inches
- Light RequirementsFull Sun
- Color Descriptionmixed
- Foliage TypeAlternate, lanceolate or oblong, 2-6" long and 1/4 to 1" wide.
- Bloom TimeMid to late summer
- Flower FormMilkweed-like blossoms. Flowers about 1/4" across in short umbel-like cymes or clusters.
- Soil RequirementsWell drained, dry , infertile sandy soils. Doesn't like wet soils. Cannot compete with surface rooted trees. Incarnata can tolerate moist soil types.
- Growth RateFast
- PruningDeadheading can prolong blooming time.
- Winter CareNo winter care needed.
- Additional InformationMedicinal properties to roots. Leaves and stems are supposed to be poisonous to animals. Slow to emerge in the spring so be careful not to disturb it during early spring clean-up. It will compete successfully with the grasses.
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Planting InstructionsDig a hole large enough to accommodate the roots without bending them. Work soil around the roots, firm well and water thoroughly.
Plants, fertilizer and other supplies* will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below.
2018 Fall Shipping Schedule
Bulbs, Potted Plants and
|1A - 5B||8/13/18 - 11/2/18||9/4/18 - 11/2/18|
|6A-6B||8/13/18 - 11/2/18||9/4/18 - 11/16/18|
|7A||8/13/18 - 11/16/18||9/4/18 - 11/16/18|
|7B-10B||8/20/18 - 11/16/18||9/4/18 - 11/16/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-6: 10/29/18
Zones 7-10: 11/12/18
|Zones 1-5: 10/29/18|
Zones 6-10: 11/12/18
*Fertilizer and other supplies ordered apart from plant orders are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Based on the contents of your order, we always strive to ship the order complete and as early as possible. However, sometimes this may result in a delay of some items that are ready before others. Our customers have suggested that they would rather wait to receive their order as complete as possible. If you would like to receive part of your order ahead of time, please reach out to our customer service department and we can accommodate. Orders with large items may be shipped in more than one package. There is no extra charge if your order requires more than one package.
Bareroot perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and provides your new plant with the best opportunity for success in your garden.
Trees and other oversize items cannot be shipped to PO boxes.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate. You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate and tracking information.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.