Major Wheeler Honeysuckle
- SKU: 70166
- Zones: 4-9
- Height: 6 - 10 feet
- Shade Requirement: Full Sun
- Bloom Time: Heavy in mid to late spring, and continues through summer and fall.
Send me an email when this item is available
Packed 1 per offer
Major Wheeler Honeysuckle
- Botanical NameLonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler'
- Ships As3" POT
- Height6 - 10 feet
- Spacing5 - 10 feet
- Spread5 - 10 feet
- Light RequirementsFull Sun
- Color Descriptionred
- Foliage TypeElliptic to ovate, healthy-looking deciduous leaves. New growth is tinged in red, and the foliage matures to an attractive bluish-green.
- Bloom TimeHeavy in mid to late spring, and continues through summer and fall.
- Flower FormLong, tubular flowers are produced in terminal clusters. Very floriferous.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, moderately fertile, moist soil, but not wet.
- Growth RateFast growing vine.
- PruningPrune to shape and in late fall, after flowering. Avoid pruning in late winter or early spring as it will remove flowers.
- Winter CareA light application of mulch will preserve soil moisture.
- Additional InformationNamed in honor of Charles Wheeler, former president of the North Carolina Botanical Garden Foundation. This variety is a selection of a native species discovered along the North Carolina coast.
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- FruitSmall red berries.
- Planting InstructionsLikes partial shade in most regions, except the far north where it can enjoy full sun. Set plant at the same level it is growing at in the container, firm soil and water thoroughly.
- Deer Resistant
Plants, fertilizer and other supplies* will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below.
2019 Spring Shipping Schedule
Bulbs, Potted Plants and &
|1A-4B||4/29/19 - 6/21/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 6/21/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 6/21/19|
|6A-6B||3/4/19 - 6/21/19|
|7A-7B||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|8A-8B||2/18/19 - 5/24/19|
|9A-10B||2/11/19 - 5/24/19|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-7: June 17th, 2019
Zones 8-10: May 20th, 2019
*Fertilizer and other supplies ordered apart from plant orders are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Based on the contents of your order, we always strive to ship the order complete and as early as possible. However, sometimes this may result in a delay of some items that are ready before others. Our customers have suggested that they would rather wait to receive their order as complete as possible. If you would like to receive part of your order ahead of time, please reach out to our customer service department and we can accommodate. Orders with large items may be shipped in more than one package. There is no extra charge if your order requires more than one package.
Bareroot perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and provides your new plant with the best opportunity for success in your garden.
Trees and other oversize items cannot be shipped to PO boxes.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate. You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate and tracking information.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.