Orange Bird Of Paradise
Brilliant Blooms Reminiscent of a Bird's Head
- SKU: 69162
- Zones: 10-11
- Height: 36 - 48 inches
- Shade Requirement: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Bloom Time: Seasonal Bloomer
Send me an email when this item is available
For each offer ordered, get 1Find Ship Dates for Your Zone »
Orange Bird Of Paradise
- Botanical NameStrelitzia reginae
- Ships As2" POT
- Height36 - 48 inches
- Spacing36 - 48 inches
- Spread36 - 48 inches
- Light RequirementsFull Sun, Partial Shade
- Foliage TypeGrey-green banana-like leaves grow about 3 1/2 to 4 feet high.
- Bloom TimeSeasonal Bloomer
- Flower FormThe spathe is a hard beak-like sheath from which the flower emerges. It is a right angle to the stem, which gives the appearance of a bird's head. The flowers emerge one at a time from the spathe.
- Soil RequirementsRich loamy soil and plenty of water. Once established, it is very tolerant and will thrive in most soils with very little water.
- Growth RateSlow.
- Winter CareWinter hardy to zones 10 to 12. In cold climates grow them in pots that can be moved indoors when freezing temperatures are expected.
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Planting InstructionsIn house or greenhouse, grow in large containers with soil-based potting mix. Outdoors, grow in fertile, moist but well drained soil in full sun to partial shade with shelter from strong winds.
Plants, fertilizer and other supplies* will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping timeframes outlined below.
|1A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|7A-10B||4/2/18 - 6/8/18|
|Last Order Date||June 4th|
*Fertilizer and other supplies ordered apart from plant orders are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Based on the contents of your order, we always strive to ship the order complete and as early as possible. However, sometimes this may result in a delay of some items that are ready before others. Our customers have suggested that they would rather wait to receive their order as complete as possible. If you would like to receive part of your order ahead of time, please reach out to our customer service department and we can accommodate. Orders with large items may be shipped in more than one package. There is no extra charge if your order requires more than one package.
Bareroot perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until fully dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and provides your new plant with the best opportunity for success in your garden.
Trees and other oversize items cannot be shipped to PO boxes.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate. You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate and tracking information.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.